Fresh trouble brewed up for the former Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) president Anurag Thakur as the Supreme Court on Friday rejected the apology submitted by him in suo motu contempt proceedings against him.
“We are not happy with the affidavit of apology; it has to be categorical,” said Justice Dipak Misra.
The court has now asked Thakur to file a fresh affidavit, furnishing unconditional and unqualified apology by July 12.
Thakur has also been asked to appear in person before the Supreme Court on July 14, the next date of hearing in the perjury proceeding against him.
Thakur got into trouble with the Supreme Court last year when he filed a false affidavit in the court saying that he had not sought any letter from the International Cricket Council (ICC) which will have the effect of over reaching the recommendation.
In fact, Thakur, in a meeting with ICC chief in Dubai, had sought a letter suggesting that appointment of a CAG official on the Indian cricket board will amount to government interference.
Subsequently, ICC CEO Dave Richardson went on record to say that BCCI had sought a letter to the effect from ICC but the request was declined.
Last year, instituting contempt proceedings against Thakur, the Supreme Court had said, “Prima facie, we feel you are in contempt of court and we are inclined to launch prosecution against you. ICC chairman Shashank Manohar says that you have asked him to write a letter. There was no occasion for you to do it when the Supreme Court had said that appointment of CAG nominee would bring in transparency.”
Thakur was removed from his position as BCCI president along with Secretary Ajay Shirke for not following Supreme Court’s guidelines on the implementation of the Lodha committee reforms.